What does a REALTOR® do for me? A short video on how REALTORS® help.
Prepare Your Property for Sale
Before you determine the listing price for your property and place it on the market, it’s important for essential property repairs, cosmetic improvements and in some cases, major renovations to take place. This will help you maximize your financial return and increase the chance of it selling faster.
To ensure you prioritize your time and financial resources on projects that will maximize the value of your property, and avoid “over-improvements” that will do little or nothing to improve your home’s value, consider the general guidelines below. Your Sotheby’s International Realty Canada associate can then provide you with advice on the required updates and repairs specific to your property type and neighbourhood.
- In general, homebuyers and real estate investors seek the least expensive property in the best neighborhood they can afford. Repairs and improvements should be made so the property shows well and is consistent with the neighborhood’s standards and preferences. At the same time you should minimize capital investments and over-improvements that may not be recovered from the sale.
- If you have an older property, you may wish to get a professional home inspection before putting your home on the market. This will help you identify and address any major repairs that may be required.
- Unless you are prepared to significantly compromise on price, some home repairs are essential. These include repairs to broken mechanical and heating systems, siding and gutters, broken appliances, major fixtures and structural deficiencies such as leaky roofs.
- Cosmetic improvements, including fresh paint and landscaping, are quick and affordable ways to help a home “show” better and often result in positive returns.
- Repair loose siding, damaged roof shingles, eaves, gutters and cracked windows for your home and garage.
- Secure loose shutters and awnings.
- Wash windows, gutters, mailboxes and doors.
- Repair cracked pavement and walkways on your property.
- Ensure lawns and gardens are attractive and well maintained.
- Sweep the entryway, porch and sidewalks daily.
- One of the fastest and most cost effective ways to update a home is with a fresh coat of paint. Repaint walls in a neutral colour with broad consumer appeal.
- Kitchen and bathroom renovations often result in a positive return on dollars invested. Consult your Sotheby’s International Realty Canada associate for advice based on your property type and neighbourhood.